Tuesday, October 1, 2013

31 for 31

After much debate among myself for literally months and months, I have decided to take on RA's 31 for 31 challenge for the month of October.  I have wanted to do this challenge for such a long time, but I always made up excuses not to do it (typical procrastinator me) and I didn't want to do it alone. I knew if I did it alone, I would be giving up on it less than a week after starting it. So I gathered my mother, two sisters and friend to all agree to do it with me!

October is a hard month to do, especially considering I live in Logan, Utah. October is the month around here that the weather really starts to change. When I say change, what I really mean is go from 80 to snowing constantly. October also includes Halloween, and I still dress like to dress in a costume every year so I needed to find some way to work around that also. Lastly, I'm flying to Texas to visit a friend for a little less than a week and Texas weather is basically the polar opposite of Utah weather. Therefore, choosing clothes and shoes for this challenge was not an easy feat.

The first step after deciding I wanted to do this challenge was to decide and agree upon rules. Everyone does this challenge a little differently, so I had a few things to decide. After much thought, here are the rules and guidelines that I came up with that I am going to abide by:

1. You are allowed to pick 31 items/clothing to wear for the month of October and you are only allowed to wear these 31 pieces during the entire month.

These include:
shirts
skirts
decorative tank tops (ex: tank tops that you wear with as the main top with a cardigan over it)
dresses
pants/shorts
cardigans/sweaters/blazers
shoes (each pair counts as one item)
hoodies/jackets (if worn during the entire day- if only worn outside for warmth, then it doesn't count)

Items that don't count towards your 31 items, and you may freely wear:
underthings (bras, underwear)
tank tops (tank tops that you wear to add more layers or to cover up more that you would wear under your top)
Halloween costume
sleeping clothing
work out clothing
socks/tights/leggings
Outerwear/Jackets/Scarves (only don't count if you only wear them outside to keep warm, they do count if you wear them all day as part of your outfit)
belts

2. You are allowed to only wear 13 accessories during October.

This includes:
Decorative/fashion scarves
necklaces
earrings
bracelets
rings
fashion belts (used for cuteness, not for actual need)
headbands
hair bows/clips/flowers


3. You are not allowed to wear an outfit twice during the duration of this challenge. On other words, you have to come up with 31 different outfits for October. This sounds difficult, but it is possible, and it can help you determine the versatility of an item. 

4. You are not required (but highly encouraged) to take a picture of your outfit every day and send it to everyone. 

5. No clothing/shoe shopping is allowed (unless there is a serious, legitimate reason and you clear it with me first) while this challenge is underway, with the exception of a Halloween costume.  

Now if you've read through all of that, I bet you're wondering what clothing, shoes and accessories I actually picked for the month. Well here they are!

tanktops


It may look like I can't fold that top shirt, but I assure you I spent a good 10 minutes trying to fold that shirt as pretty as I possibly could and it just WOULDN'T cooperate.


shirts



Half of the shirts above are long sleeved, but I didn't have the time to separate things into that many sub-categories.


 cardigans


I love cardigans. I wear them with almost every outfit. Maybe I should have just included all my cardigans with a couple of shirts.


dresses


I also live in dresses. Sadly, dresses are cannot produce many mix and match outfits when doing this challenge. But because it's me, I had to still include a couple. I also added another dress after taking this picture, so there are actually 4 dresses.


skirts


I also love skirts. However, I am in serious lack of them.


pants


I obviously own way more tops than I do bottoms.


shoes


I switched out a couple of items after I took this picture, so I'm only included three pairs of shoes instead of the five pictured.




I wear accessories like there's no tomorrow so only picking out 13 accessories might have actually been harder for me than picking 31 items.


So that's what I've picked out for my 31 by 31 challenge. Here's hoping I'm able to stick to the rules and make it through the month without breaking any of them!


2 comments:

  1. Hello there! I'm excited to see how you do on the challenge! The weather here in the mid-Atlantic took a turn for the HOT this week, and I am Not Pleased. Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm nervous, but I think I can do it! That stinks about your weather though! I hate the heat!!

    ReplyDelete