Saturday, October 5, 2013

DIY Calendar

It's already October. I know people say time goes by quicker the older you get, but this is getting ridiculous. I swear it was August two days ago. So I know it might be a little late to do this post, it being October and all. However, I loved doing this project so much that I just had to share it.

Last year, I saw that one of my friends had a homemade calendar hanging up in her room instead of the generic white and grey wall calendar I had in my room. I instantly decided that I was going to make a calendar for the next school year instead of buying a generic, ugly and expensive wall calendar. So that's exactly what I did. I was very surprised how easy and quick it was to make it. The best part? I didn't have to buy a single thing.

What you'll need:
  
Cardboard
Scissors
Tape
Paper
Printer
Stapler 

Instructions:

1. Find a piece of cardboard (there's probably empty boxes somewhere around your house, I used a box from something I recently ordered online). Make sure it's sturdy and in good condition. It can be as big or as little as you want. Next, decide how big you want your calendar to be and cut it to that measurement. To make things easier, I just cut the sides and top off of my cardboard box, so I was left with a piece that measured 14x19.25 inches.

2. Find a calendar template online that you would like to use, or if you are feeling particularly crafty, make your own. I found one online, but I can't seem to remember where I found it (I even looked online for about an hour trying to find the template I used before finally giving up). Print out the template.

3. Find a background to match your calendar design. Again, you can either search for one online, or you can make one yourself. I looked online and found a cute design within minutes. Print out your chosen background. You'll need to print out multiple pages and that number depends on how big your piece of cardboard is. Be aware though, that you'll want to have enough paper for it to hang of the edge of the cardboard. I printed out four copies of the design just to make sure I had enough.

4. Flip the background papers on the off side (the side of the paper that is blank and has no design on it). Bring the papers together and arrange them to fit the cardboard. Tape the sides of the paper together. Be careful to ensure there are no gaps and the design lines up if applicable.

5. Once all the papers are taped together, place the on side (the side of the paper with designs on it) of the paper facing the surface it is on, with the off side of the paper facing you. Place your cardboard on the center of the papers. Taking one edge of the paper, flip it up and tape it on the cardboard. Repeat with all sides until all sides of cardboard is covered. If this sounds confusing, just tape the paper to the cardboard just as you would as taping wrapping paper to a gift.

6. Flip the cardboard over. Make sure the design looks good on the cardboard and was done correctly. Next, take your printed calendar template. Make sure all the months are in the correct order and place them where you would like them on the cardboard. I placed mine in the center. Next, grab a stapler and staple the top of the papers to the cardboard.

And you're done!
*Please ignore what I wrote on the calendar*


No comments:

Post a Comment